5 things that made me a better DBA
There are so many parts to becoming a DB2 DBA. One of my newbie-friends described being a DB2 DBA as a “black art” that takes at least 2 years to learn. Several times I’ve figured things out in my career and thought “how did I ever call myself a DBA without knowing that?”.
- An intimate knowledge and experience with real-world backup and recovery. You only have something missing that you need for a restore once.
- Doing and understanding builds and installations as the only DBA involved – doing the basic physical design.
- Learning Explains well enough to teach them to others.
- Learning the ins and outs of physical perfomance and monitoring.
- Understanding that you don’t just do whatever developers or others request you to do – it’s important to know when to say no and how to guide people to a better choice.