How to completely stop DB2

1. Alex Markley says:

Most Linux distributions support the following: “telinit q”. When run as root, this will perform something similar to “kill -HUP 1”

Note that the “telinit q” method is going to be preferable to other methods (at least for Linux) because it works even if your system is not using System V-style init. If, for example, you’re using the new Upstart boot system, compatibility wrappers like telinit should still be available, even though the internals of the system may have changed.

2. raju says:

How do we know who stopped DB2 services from another user who are having all db2 admin rights. At lease can we get IP address for any log files.?

I’m not sure. We never start/stop db2 with a user other than the instance owner. I imagine auditing would provide you with the ability to track that. Might also ask on one of the forums.

3. D says:

your blog is very helpful – I typed “db2stop” into Google, and this page came up, and told me what I needed to know

4. Norberto Gasparotto Filho says:

I’ve had issues with db2fmcd on Linux RedHat 6.6 (it changed the way it uses inittab).
    After trying everything I know, a friend of mine that is a Linux specialist told me I should run the following (as root):
    initctl stop db2fmc
    I did it and it worked fine. Just wanted to share here. Thanks for all the valuable info you share in your blog!

• Esther Burwell says:

I think the full command for RedHat 6.6 should be (previous had a missing d on the end)
      initctl stop db2fmcd

5. Gorakh says:

We usually stop db2 by deactivating the database followed by db2stop and ipclean to clean the memory area used by db2process.

db2 deactivate (issue when apps are down)

db2stop

ipclean (we make sure instance is successfully stopped before issuing ipclean).

your method is bit different. Is this the correct way what we are following?

db2stop force will also deactivate the database for you. Deactivating the database may allow db2stop to work without the force parameter. You may have to force remaining applications off if they are still connected. Your method is certainly valid if it works, though if you are stopping db2 for something like a fixpack or upgrade, or OS maintenance, you’ll need to include stopping the DAS(if you have one), the fault monitor, and commenting out the inittab entry.

6. no says:

Hi,
    Issuing command “db2fm -D” with a still running db2fmcd has little effect; “db2fm -D” will sequentially send kill, kill -15 and kill -9 to the fault monitor daemon, which then will be killed, but after a short while will be started again by the db2fmcd. So you have to issue the “db2fm -D” command(s) after removing the fmc-entry from the inittab.

1. July 11, 2012

[…] How to completely stop DB2 Share this:ShareEmailPrintFacebook If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it! Tagged with: db2 • ibm • linux  Cancel Reply […]

2. April 25, 2013

[…] [Side Note: Ember has a really good article on stopping DB2 in preparation for an upgrade. Check out the article here – Link] […]