DB2 Commands: db2licm

1. murali says:

Hey Ember,
    I was doing some trail setup in my laptop and can i redo or reapply trail license key without uninstalling the software as today i can see that my trail 90 day period is finished. What’s your suggestion on this ?

2. Anshul says:

Thanks very much Ember. It really worked.

3. Shilton carls says:

I have two servers running DB2 ESE v8.2. Unfortunately one of them has it’s license expired because the previous installation forgot to apply the license, while another one with a valid legal license. I have misplaced the CD and the license key.

When we apply the license key, entitlement information must have goes to some files in the server. What are these files and could we transfer these files to another DB2 server to make it run?

DB2 licenses are applied by using a file and not a key. You really have to have the file to make it work. It is usually named something.lic, and is in the original media if you copied it anywhere. It should also be available easily on Passport Advantage – which should have downloads for all software you are entitled to. If you don’t have access to IBM’s passport advantage, I’m sure IBM would be able to help you get access. There is no way other than applying the correct file to be able to access a database with an expired license.

4. Prudhviraj says:

We have a license of AESE installed on the server and we want to downgrade the license to ESE, does it requires outage ? or Just need to apply the license can help us.

You will need to remove the old license with the -r option on db2licm, and add the new one.

I would recommend testing it on a test environment. I’m not sure if you remove the license if connections are immediately restricted – I suspect you would still be able to connect, but would have problems on the next db2start. I’m also not sure if you would remove the old license before or after adding the new one.

5. Diogo Cezari says:

When we have “restricted” license, what restrictions does it have? We are installing IBM Data Stage and IBM says that we have a DB2 restricted license with the file “db2ese_o.lic”. I could not be able to found what are those restrictions.

Tks

You really have to read the license and/or ask IBM to know. At one point, I saw a restricted license that did not include TSA with DB2. They are nearly always restricted to only databases with the content from the application they come from – even creating tables not related to that application could be a violation. It is always best to check with IBM.