IDUG EMEA 2016 in Brussels, and a Discount Code!
(SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM FOR A 25% DISCOUNT ON CONFERENCE ADMISSION!)
I am going to IDUG in Brussels this year. This will be my first time at the European IDUG conference. I’m paying my own way so I get to go this year. I’ll be speaking on Monday the 14th November at 15:10 in the Vision room on SQL Infusion: Tuning and Using the Package Cache!
I’m so excited to go to this conference for the first time! I hope to meet all the readers from Europe!
As a first-time attendee at the IDUG conference in Europe, I could use your suggestions, too. Please share your ideas and details you think I should be aware of in the comments below!
I find great value in online methods, obviously, as I have poured thousands of hours of work into this blog and a presence on LinkedIn and Twitter. I even dabble in stackExchange when I have time. But there are connections you can make, even if you’re an introvert like me, at conferences and user groups that will take you farther and give you those contacts to call when you are at the end of your rope and not getting what you need through official channels.
I love this clear-as-day layout of the week:
The grid with all of the sessions is available on the IDUG Website.
A few that will make my priority list:
- MON: 10:40-11:40 C01 – DB2 LUW 11.1 : A Technical Overview – Matt Huras
- MON: 12:00-13:00 C02 – DB2 Data Security: Keeping your Data Safe with Encryption – Ian Bjorhovde
- MON: 15:10-16:10 C03 – SQL Infusion: Tuning and Using the Package Cache – Ember Crooks
- MON: 16:30-17:30 C04 – Practical LUW – Cristian Molaro
- TUES: 10:20-11:20 C05 – Do it Right! Upgrade to DB2 LUW 11 – Melanie Stopfer
- TUES: 10:20-11:20 F05 – Developer’s Do the Darndest Things…. – Ken Shaffer
- TUES: 14:00-15:00 D06 – Central Archival and Analysis of DB2 Logs – Roland Schock
- TUES: 15:10-16:10 C07 – SQL in Action – the Problem Solver – Michael Tiefenbacher
- TUES: 16:30-17:30 D08 – DB2 11.1 – A Query Optimizer Perspective – John Hornibrook
- WED: 8:30-9:30 C09 – 11 Great DB2 Questions from Stack Overflow (Answers Included) – Henrik Loeser
- WED: 9:40-10:40 C10 – OMG! Experience is a Hard Teacher – Lessons Learned #1 – Melanie Stopfer
- WED: 11:00-12:00 C11 – BLU Acceleration 2.0 – What’s new for BLU in DB2 11 – Matthias Nicola
- WED: 11:00-12:00 D11 – Sage Advice Part 3: Predictive Index Impact Analysis – Know Before you CREATE – Scott Hayes
- WED: 13:40-14:40 LUW Expert Panel
- WED: 17:30-18:30 D14 – Top tips from a lifetime of tuning DB2 – Martin Hubel
- THURS: 9:40-10:40 D16 – DB2 Performance FAQs vol. 6 – More Things You Need to Know!
- THURS: 11:00-12:00 C17 – DB2 LUW Forensic Investigation: Guide to Diagnosing Performance/Hang Problems – Pavel Sustr
- THURS: 11:00-12:00 D17 – Vital Statistics – What You Should Know About DB2 for Linux, UNIX and Windows Catalog Statistics John Hornibrook
I’m sure I’m missing some excellent session here – what other speakers and sessions are can’t miss for you? At least two of the above are people I’ve read and communicated with online, but haven’t had the chance to meet yet.
Overall, I’m amazed at the simple clarity of the grid and yet how seldom I have major conflicts. I may catch some of the above at the Word of Watson conference in Las Vegas two weeks before the IDUG EMEA so I can spend time on intriguing sounding sessions from speakers I haven’t heard of.
The first certification exam is free. If you pass that, the second one is free, too. After that, tests will cost $25 each.
The DB2 11.1 DBA exam has been released.
Exams will be in the Clarity room at the following times:
- Monday, 14 November: 11:30 – 16:30
- Tuesday, 15 November: 8:30 – 16:00
- Wednesday, 16 November: 8:30 – 13:30
- Thursday, 17 November: 8:30 – 12:30
If you are planning on taking an exam, make sure you know your candidate testing ID if you have passed any prior IBM/DB2 exams. You’ll need to create a Pearson Vue account at least three days prior by going to http://pearsonvue.com/IBM/
The list of available exams is on the IDUG website.
There are also are free preparation courses available for certification on Sunday, 13th November. Roger Sanders knows more about IBM DB2 LUW certification than any person I know, having been involved with or even guiding the writing of most of the tests.
IDUG and DBI have teamed up to offer a most excellent discount. Using the code 2016DBI25, you can save a whopping 25% on conference admission! Also, check out Scott’s list of reasons to attend. I’m especially fond of #7!
As of the time this article posts, I also have one 60% off mentor discount available for a first-time attendee – let me know if you would find it useful!