IDUG Tech Conference in Anaheim – Question on Panel Session – Updated
As I was watching the DB2 Night Show on Monday (I missed the first half on Friday), Terry announced that they were going to combine the DB2 for Z/OS and DB2 for LUW panel sessions. They’re making them a bit longer. The reason given for this is that they want to stream both of them, but only have the equipment to stream one at a time. Through conversations and posts on Twitter, I decided to open a Twitter poll on the issue to see if we can get some feedback from others on how they feel about it.
I feel it is a bad idea because:
- One platform may dominate to the detriment of the other platform
- Newer DBAs may get confused about which platform a question/answer applies to
- Each community has different needs and different questions
- The larger room this will require will feel less connected
- The Panel is my favorite session of the whole conference, and I don’t want to get less of it
Please let your voice be heard. Vote on the poll on twitter!
— Ember Crooks (@ember_crooks) April 11, 2017
I cannot promise we’ll get anywhere by presenting our preferences to IDUG, but I thought it was worth seeing if others were with me on my opinion here.
Update 12 April, 2017
Clearly, the users on Twitter prefer separate panels. I doubt this will change IDUG’s plans, but it is good to know I’m not alone in this opinion.